Legal Regulation of Civil Servants in Russia and Germany Receiving Gifts
The article deals with the conflict between the provisions of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation, where the minimum amount of the bribe is not defined, and the provision of the Federal Law ‘On State Civil Service of the Russian Federation,’ which, on the one hand, contains an absolute ban on civil servants receiving gifts and other types of remuneration, while, on the other hand, Art. 575 of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation admits a possibility for civil servants to receive gifts of an amount not exceeding 3,000 rubles in the performance of their official duties. This legal conflict necessitates conceptual clarification of such notions as ‘gift’ and ‘bribe.’
The authors underline that a determining factor for establishing the legitimacy of the customary gifts given to government officials is whether the gifts were accepted by the officials, while executing their duties, without a prior agreement for an action or inaction. It is noted that the limitation of a gift’s maximum value to 3,000 rubles, as stated in the Civil Code of the Russian Federation, creates an opportunity to abuse or evade the law.
The article presents a comparative study of European laws, more specifically dealing with the institute of donation, and Russian legislation regarding the possibility of civil servants receiving gifts. German law does not single out ‘customary gifts;’ it simply does not admit the possibility of giving gifts or the right to receive gifts by German civil servants.
The authors have developed proposals to improve the legal regulation concerning the giving of gifts to government officials in Russia.
About the AuthorsSvetlana Zimneva
Ph.D. in Law, Associate Professor at Department of Civil Law and Procedure,
38 Lenin str., Tyumen, 625000
Ph.D. in Education, Associate Professor of Foreign Languages and Intercultural Professional Communication at Department for Law and Economics,
38 Lenin str., Tyumen, 625000
1. Black, Henry C. Black’s Law Dictionary: Definitions of the Terms and Phrases of American and English Jurisprudence, Ancient and Modern 191 (6th ed., West Pub. 1990), available at <https://archive.org/stream/BlacksLaw6th/Blacks%20Law%206th#page/n203/mode/2up> (accessed Jul. 29, 2015).
2. Bønsing, Sten, & Langsted, Lars B. ‘Undue’ Gifts for Public Employees: An Administrative and Criminal Analysis, 21(2) European Journal of Crime, Criminal Law and Criminal Justice 163 (2013), available at <http://www.langsted.dk/artikler/ECCL_2025_bonsing_langsted.pdf> (accessed Jul. 29, 2015).
3. Civil Service Ethics: A Study of the Grounds of Civil Service Ethics, Its Present State and Areas of Development (= 2000(8) Ministry of Finance Working Papers) 7 (fn. 2)(Ministry of Finance 2000), available at <http://vm.fi/documents/10623/307711/Civil+Service+Ethics+publication+310300.pdf/99767fe2-83f5-4476-bd64-b9d22829e0ff> (accessed Jul. 29, 2015).
4. Villoria Mendieta, Manuel. Conflicts of Interest Policies and Practices in Nine EU Member States, in Corruption and Democracy: Political Finances – Conflicts of Interests – Lobbying – Justice 85, 95 (Council of Europe Pub. 2008).
5. Vries, Michiel S. de, & Suk Kim, Pan. Conclusions, in Values and Virtue in Public Administration: A Comparative Perspective 275, 281 (Michiel S. de Vries & Pan Suk Kim, eds.) (Palgrave Macmillan 2011).
6. Подгруша В.В. Когда подарок еще не взятка // Юстиция Беларуси. 2005. № 12. С. 44–50 [Podgrusha V.V. Kogda podarok eshche ne vzyatka // Yustitsiya Belarusi. 2005. No. 12. S. 44–50 [Valentina V. Podgrusha, When Gift Is Not a Bribe Yet, 2005(12)Justice of Belarus 44–50]].
7. Савельев В.А. Дарение в римском праве и в современном законодательстве // Журнал российского права. 2007. № 3. С. 41–48 [Saveliev V.A. Darenie v rimskom prave i v sovremennom zakonodatel’stve // Zhurnal rossiiskogo prava. 2007. No. 3. S. 41–48 [Vyacheslav A. Saveliev, Donation in the Roman Law and in the Modern Legislation, 2007(3) Journal of Russian Law 41–48]].
8. Широков В.А. Противоречие законов как серьезное препятствие в борьбе со взяточничеством // Современное право. 2005. № 4. С. 39–41 [Shirokov V.A. Protivorechie zakonov kak ser’eznoe prepyatstvie v bor’be so vzyatochnichestvom // Sovremennoe pravo. 2005. No. 4. S. 39–41 [Vladimir A. Shirokov, Contradiction of Laws As a Serious Obstacle in Bribery Control, 2005(4) Modern Law 39–41]].
9. Эрделевский А. Прощение долга и договор дарения // Российская юстиция. 2000. № 3. С. 12–14 [Erdelevsky E. Proshchenie dolga i dogovor dareniya // Rossiiskaya yustitsiya. 2000. No. 3. S. 12–14 [Alexander Erdelevsky, Forgiving the Debt and Donation Contract, 2000(3) Russian Justice 12–14]].
For citation: Zimneva S., Chumakova A. Legal Regulation of Civil Servants in Russia and Germany Receiving Gifts. Russian Law Journal. 2015;3(3):142-151. https://doi.org/10.17589/2309-8678-2015-3-3-142-151
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0.