Republic of Crimea: a Two-Day State
The Crimean situation has put self-determination, secession and accession back at the top of the international law agenda. The article deals with questions of the procedure of Crimea’s self-determination and accession to the Russian Federation from the point of view of international law. Special attention is paid to the analysis of the ICJ Advisory Opinion on the question of the accordance with international law of the unilateral declaration of independence in respect of Kosovo in its interrelation with the Crimea case.
The text also includes an unofficial translation of an accession treaty between Russia and the Republic of Crimea. With the Crimean Republic’s declaration of independence, it is the most important document for the legal analysis of the situation.
About the AuthorAnatoly Pronin
Lecturer of the Department of International and European Law,
10a Lenin sq., Voronezh, 394030, Russia
1. Advisory Opinion, Accordance with International Law of the Unilateral Declaration of Independence in Respect of Kosovo, 2010 I.C.J. 403, available at <http://www.icjcij.org/docket/files/141/15987.pdf> (accessed Mar. 13, 2015).
2. Advisory Opinion, Legal Consequences of the Construction of a W all in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, ¶ 88, 2004 I.C.J. 136, available at <http://www.icjcij.org/docket/files/131/1671.pdf> (accessed Mar. 13, 2015).
3. Declaration on Principles of International Law Concerning Friendly Relations and Co-operation among States in Accordance with the Charter of the United Nations, G.A. Res. 2625, U.N. GAOR, 25th Sess., Supp. No. 28, U.N. Doc. A/5217 (1970), at <http://www.un-documents.net/a25r2625.htm> (accessed Mar. 13, 2015).
4. Kelsen, Hans. Recognition in International Law: Theoretical Observations, 35(4)
5. American Journal of International Law 605 (1941).
6. Milano, Enrico. The Non-Recognition of Russia’s Annexation of Crimea: Three Different Legal Approaches and One Unanswered Question, 1 Questions of International Law 35 (2014), available at <http://www.qil-qdi.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/CRIMEA_Enrico-Milano_FINAL.pdf> (accessed Mar. 13, 2015).
7. Ricoeur, Paul. The Conflict of Interpretations: Essays in Hermeneutics (Don Ihde, ed., & Willis Domingo et al., trans.) (Northwestern University Press 1974).
8. Self-Determination and Secession in International Law 297 (Christian Walter et al., eds.) (Oxford University Press 2014).
9. Statement by the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs Regarding the Adoption of the Declaration of Independence of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and Sevastopol, <http://www.mid.ru/brp_4.nsf/0/4751D80FE6F93D0344257C990062A08A> (accessed Mar. 13, 2015).
10. Tsang, Jo-Ann. Moral Rationalization and the Integration of Situational Factors and Psychological Processes in Immoral Behavior, 6(1) Review of General Psychology (2002). doi:10.1037//1089-26220.127.116.11
11. Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, May 23, 1969, U.N. Doc. A/Conf.39/27,1155 U.N.T.S. 331, 8 I.L.M. 679 (1969), at <https://treaties.un.org/doc/Treaties/1980/01/19800127%2000-52%20AM/Ch_XXIII_01p.pdf> (accessed Mar. 13, 2015).
12. Декларация о независимости Автономной Республики Крым и города Севастополя [Deklaratsia o nezavisimosti Avtonomnoi Respubliki Krym i goroda Sevastopolya [Declaration of Independence of the Republic of Crimea and City Sevastopol]], at <http://www.rada.crimea.ua/news/11_03_2014_1> (accessed Mar. 13, 2015).
13. Кожевников Ф.И. Советское государство и международное право [Kozhevnikov F.I. Sovetskoe gosudarstvo i mezhdunarodnoe pravo [Fyodor I. Kozhevnikov, Soviet State and International Law]] 181 (Poligrafkniga 1948).
14. Постановление Государственного Совета Республики Крым «О независимости Крыма» [Postanovlenie Gosudarstvennogo Soveta Respubliki Krym ‘O nezavisimosti Kryma’ [Decree of the State Council of the Republic of Crimea ‘On the Independence of Crimea’]], at <http://www.rada.crimea.ua/act/11748> (accessed Mar. 13, 2014).
For citation: Pronin A. Republic of Crimea: a Two-Day State. Russian Law Journal. 2015;3(1):133-142. https://doi.org/10.17589/2309-8678-2015-3-1-133-142
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0.