The Role of Legal Translation in the Interpretation of International Law Documents
In this paper, legal translation and its role in the interpretation of international law documents have been taken into consideration, both from a theoretical and a practical perspective. As far as theoretical aspects are concerned, legal translation in the light of civil law (Roman law) and common law systems, the status of legal translation in international law, the principles of plain language, and the equivalence of legal words are discussed. Accordingly, the interconnection between legal translation and interpretation of international law documents has been examined. As regards the practical perspective, the practice of the International Court of Justice, as well as applicable rules of the World Trade Organization and the European Union in respect of legal translation, has been discussed. The study carried out shows that due to the nature of international law and different foundations, goals, structures, sources and concepts of international legal order on the one hand, and divergent legal and cultural characteristics, as well as non-equivalent technical terms of various legal systems on the other, legal translators, who are inevitably influenced by their own national laws, are confronted with many profound difficulties.
About the AuthorMansour Farrokhi
Iran, Islamic Republic of
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Humanities
9 km of Minab Road, Bandar Abbas, Iran
1. Chromá M. Traps of English as a Target Language in Legal Translation, 26 Comparative Legilinguistics 71 (2016).
2. Condon B.J. Lost in Translation: Plurilingual Interpretation of WTO Law, 1 (1) Journal of International Dispute Settlement 191 (2010).
3. Currall J. Official Languages Inside and Outside the Institutions: An Analysis of Recent Cases, 39 (3) Georgia Journal of International and Comparative Law 587 (2011).
4. Dellavalle S. Law as a Linguistic Instrument Without Truth Content? On the Epistemology of Koskenniemi’s Understanding of Law, 77 (1) Heidelberg Journal of International Law 199 (2017).
5. Gotti M. The Translation of Legal Texts: Interlinguistic and Intralinguistic Perspectives, 4 (1) Journal of English for Specific Purposes at Tertiary Level 5 (2016).
6. Hargitt S. What Could Be Gained in Translation: Legal Language and Lawyer-Linguists in a Globalized World, 20 (1) Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies 424 (2013).
7. Kościałkowska-Okońska E. Interpreters in the Courtrooms: The Importance of Competence and Quality, 2 Comparative Legilinguistics 39 (2010).
8. Koskenniemi M. From Apology to Utopia: The Structure of International Legal Argument (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2005).
9. Mälskoo L. Language Rights in International Law: Why the Phoenix Is Still in the Ashes?, 12 (3) Florida Journal of International Law 431 (2000).
10. Portuese A. Law and Economics of the European Multilingualism, 34 (2) European Journal of Law and Economics 279 (2012).
11. Prieto Ramos F. International and Supranational Law in Translation: From Multilingual Lawmaking to Adjudication, 20 (3) Translator 313 (2014).
12. Simonnæs I. Challenges in Legal Translation, 53 (2) Linguistica 91 (2013).
13. Spencer D. Overview of Language Rights in the International Criminal Law Sentencing Models, 31 (4) International Journal for the Semiotics of Law 787 (2018).
14. Tapani J. The Quagmire of Impossible Attempts – How to Distinguish Between Punishable and Non-punishable Cases of Criminal Attempt?, 54 Scandinavian Studies in Law 131 (2009).
15. The Oxford Handbook of Language and Law (P.M. tiersma & L.M. solan (eds.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012).
16. Way C. The Challenges and Opportunities of Legal Translation and Translator Training in the 21st Century, 10 International Journal of Communication 1009 (2016).
17. Williams C. Legal English and Plain Language: An Update, 8 ESP Across Cultures 139 (2011).
For citation: Farrokhi M. The Role of Legal Translation in the Interpretation of International Law Documents. Russian Law Journal. 2019;7(1):55-86. https://doi.org/10.17589/2309-8678-2019-7-1-55-86
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0.