The Court of the Eurasian Economic Union: Challenges and Perspectives
The Court of the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU Court) is a new structure operating since 2015, and whose mission is to ensure the uniform interpretation and application of EAEU law. The article focuses on the main challenges the Court is presently facing: limited competence; a lack of procedural mechanisms to ensure the dissemination of its case-law among national courts; and a low number of applications. Consequently, it is divided into three sections.
The first section is devoted to an analysis of the Court’s competence and focuses on the loss of the preliminary reference procedure that existed under the EurAsEC law. The authors analyze its role and the possibility of compensating for its lost powers.
The second section explores the other tools available to the Court in order to influence the case-law of national courts indirectly. It explores the practical difficulties which economic entities face when bringing parallel proceedings before the EAEU Court and a national court, or when trying to obtain a review of a national court judgment following a positive outcome in the EAEU Court.
The third section tackles the issue of the low number of applications, linked to a lack of trust from the business and legal communities. Thus, it is vital for the Court to earn a reputation based on accessibility, professionalism and efficiency. To this end, the authors analyze such issues as the duration of proceedings, the locus standi of economic entities and the way in which judgments should be drafted to ensure the protection of rights and legitimate interests of economic entities.
About the AuthorsEkaterina Diyachenko
Counselor of a Judge
5 Kirova St., Minsk, 220006
Counselor of the Legal Research and Analysis Department
5 Kirova St., Minsk, 220006
1. Карлюк М.В. Система обеспечения права Евразийского экономического союза, 10 Право в современном белорусском обществе (2015) [Karlyuk M.V. The System for Ensuring the Law of the Eurasian Economic Union, 10 Law in Modern Belorussian Society (2015)].
2. Кембаев Ж.М. Сравнительно-правовой анализ функционирования Суда Евразийского экономического союза, 2 Международное правосудие (2016) [Kembaev Zh.M. Comparative Analysis of the Functioning of the Court of the Eurasian Economic Union, 2 International Justice (2016)].
3. Кожеуров Я.С. Перспективы взаимоотношений Европейского суда по правам человека и Евразийского экономического союза, 11 Актуальные проблемы российского права (2015) [Kozheurov Ya.S. Perspectives of Relationships between the European Court of Human Rights and the Court of the Eurasian Economic Union, 11 Actual Problems of Russian Law (2015)].
4. Павлова Н.В. Наднациональное регулирование таможенных правоотношений и национальное правосудие, 1 Судья (2016) [Pavlova N.V. Supranational Regulation of Customs Matters and National Justice, 1 Judge (2016)].
For citation: Diyachenko E., Entin K. The Court of the Eurasian Economic Union: Challenges and Perspectives. Russian Law Journal. 2017;5(2):53-74. https://doi.org/10.17589/2309-8678-2017-5-2-53-74
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0.