Mediationo of Labour Disputes in Kazakhstan in Comparative Context
The authors undertake an analysis of features of mediation in individual labour disputes settlement in the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Russian Federation. The current paper also analyzes the experience of some foreign countries (USA, UK, Germany), based on a study which suggests the ways of improving the mediation institution in Kazakhstan. In addition, the identified advantages of mediation as an extra-judicial regulation of labour disputes, the authors point out the identified shortcomings of the matter in new the Labour Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Relevance of the topic is reasoned to the fact that in the 21st century extra-judicial settlement of disputes is preferred worldwide these days. In this context, it is no exception to the regulation of individual labour disputes without appealing to the courts. It demonstrates the role and significance of the introduction and development of conciliation procedures, including mediation, without diminishing the importance of other remedies to protect labour rights and freedoms provided in the labour legislation. An analysis of Kazakhstan’s and Russia’s procedural laws indicates a steady trend of expansion of alternative legal ways of disputes settlement in general, and particularly in labour disputes, including disputes between economic agents (employer and employee), which seems to be responded to the modern development of economic relations. Extrajudicial ways of conflict resolution may be undertaken not only by jurisdictional, but also by non-judicial mechanisms that are in the beginning stage of formation as alternative ways of resolving labour disputes at this period of Kazakhstan’s development.
About the AuthorsGuzal Galiakbarova
Ph.D. student in Law of Department of Civil Law Disciplines, Faculty of Law, Gumilyov Eurasian National University (Ryskulbekov Str., 16 – ap.65, Astana, 010009, Kazakhstan
Associate Professor of Department of Theory and History of the Country, Constitution, Faculty of Law, Gumilyov Eurasian National University (Abylai-khan Avenue, 39/1 – ap.52, Astana, 010009, Kazakhstan
1. Blanpain R., & Baker J. Comparative labour law and industrial relations in industrialized market economies (Kluwer Law International 2004).
2. Boulle & Nesic, Mediation: principles, process, practice 4–5, 332 (London, Dublin, Edinburgh, Butterworth 2001).
3. Brown, Hanami & Blanpain, Industrial Conflict Resolutionin Great Britain. Industrial Conflict Resolution in Market Economies. A study of Canada, Great Britain and Sweden 103 (T. Hanami and R. Blanpain eds., Deventer-Netherlands 1987).
4. Kramer, Alternative Dispute Resolution in the Work Place § 1.02 1–8 (1998)
5. Maleshin D., The Russian Style оf Civil Procedure, 21(2) Emory International Law Review 559 (2007).
6. Lembke Mark, Mediation im Arbeitsrecht (2001).
7. Ordover Abraham P., Alternatives to Litigation: Mediation, Arbitration, and the Art of Dispute Resolution. (2d ed. National Institute for Trial Advocacy 2002)
8. Roberts M. Systems or selves. Some ethical issues in family mediation (1992).
9. Schoenfield Mark & Schoenfield Mick, The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Negotiation Course (McGraw-Hill, N.Y., 1991).
10. Selwyn N. Selwyn’s Law of Employment 498 (14 ed. Oxford University Press 2006).
11. Stitt A. Mediation: a practical guide (Routledge Cavendish 2004).
12. Захорка Х. Внедрение института медиации в Республике Казахстан. Законодательство Европейского союза и Совета Европы о медиации: медиация в индивидуальном трудовом законе // Зангер. 2013. № 2 (139). С. 81, 83 [Zakhorka Kh. Vnedrenie instituta mediatsii v Respublike Kazakhstan. Zakonodatel'stvo Evropeiskogo soyuza i Soveta Evropy o mediatsii: mediatsiya v individual'nom trudovom zakone // Zanger. 2013. № 2 (139). S. 81, 83 [H. Zahorka, Introduction of the Institute of Mediation in the Republic of Kazakhstan. The Legislation of the European Union and the Council of Europe on Mediation: Mediation in Individual Labour Law, 2(139) Lawyer 81, 83 (2013)]].
13. Паркинсон Л. Семейная медиация [Parkinson L. Semeinaya mediatsiya [L. Parkinson, Semeinaya mediatsiya]] 11 (Moscow 2010).
For citation: Galiakbarova G., Saimova S. Mediationo of Labour Disputes in Kazakhstan in Comparative Context. Russian Law Journal. 2016;4(2):96-111. https://doi.org/10.17589/2309-8678-2016-4-2-96-111
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0.